Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hacienda Heights Generation Gap

Growing up in an heavily Asian American populated city Hacienda Heights, it's easy to forget that a generation gap exists between the first and second generations in the U.S.. My whole life, I've played it fairly safe, and it's made it easy for my parents to generally be satisfied with most of the decisions in my life. However, as of late, I realize that although at age 30, my parents still feel a need to control many aspects of my future. One important one would be a future husband. Now though I respect their values and opinions, I've also come to realize that no matter what, I still have to stick with what I think is best for myself. I think at the end of it, as long as I know what I want and what makes me happy, they will follow and see that that's the most important factor involved. I truly believe that I have to make my own destiny and that I will be strong enough to face whatever may come.

1 comment:

Lina said...

No matter how old you are, your parents will always think of you as a little girl. I am sure they have their reasons and they were just worry about you. It's kind of weird because now that I am a parent, I see things somewhat differently than before. However, in the end, I would still think you need to follow your dreams and your decision. No one should tell you what to do. I would tell Tino the same thing. =) Your parents should trust the values that they entrusted in you over the years to help you make the best judgment.