Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

To Be

Here's an old Japanese pop song that I've listened to before several times, but never paid much attention to. I finally heard it on Pandora Radio again, and decided to look up the translated lyrics. Here it is below. Although the English translation sounds choppy, I like the what it says. Unfortunately I do carry around the junk that's unimportant. The past does effect me and I think about it often. I just have concentrate of the present and what I can do for the future.

TO BE
Lyrics: Ayumi Hamasaki
Composer: DAI
Arranger: Naoto Suzuki, DAI

Everyone passes through. I don't keep them in mind either. It can't be helped.
You've been carrying that junk as if it's important.
People saw you from a distance and thought you were strange.
Even so you laughed and said to me "this is treasure."

While I'm gaining something big, I wonder if there's something I've lost.
I don't understand.
This place I've regained, I bet it's slightly different.

If you're there, I'm always laughing.
If you're there, I'm always laughing. I'm crying. I'm living.
If you're not there, there's nothing.

Was it myself? Was it the people? Or was it
only a clock? The thing that seemed like it would break.

How much do the arms that continue to protect the junk hurt?
What have they sacrificed?
Even though you'll never be perfect, you shine in your imperfection.

The path you found isn't wide.
The path you found isn't wide, it isn't narrow, somehow
you alone have made it better for me.

Because you were there, I'm always laughing.
Because you were there, I was always laughing. I was crying. I was living.
If you're not there, there's nothing.

No comments: