Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Connecting the Body and Soul

I don't consider myself a spontaneous person. I'm not saying I need to follow a particular schedule or anything, but I don't just don't do strange things out of the blue all the time. Alright, who am I kidding? The older I get, the less constrained I become. After two hours of dance class one day, a classmate, whom I didn't even know the name of asked if I wanted to go to a dance showcase in West Hollywood. Mind you this was 10pm on Wednesday night and I had planned to go home and do some work. For some reason, I said yes, and little did I know this was the famous Carnival, a Choreographer's Ball at the Key Club where they show case over a hundred dancers. Upon entering the club, I could feel that I was in unfamiliar territory. I was surrounded by dozens of professional dancers, some b-boys, and some just to watch their favorite dancers. Among my favorite performances was the team choreographed by the famous Anthony Thomas, who had won awards for Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation." I've been holding off on writing anything about dancing for some time, because I don't feel that I have the write words to describe the beauty of dance just yet. All I know is that the there is something magical about it that connects your body, heart beat, and soul. If just merely watching it makes me feel that way, imagine what it must be like to actually do it. I can understand why some people live and breathe by it.

Of course, I didn't get home until 3:30am this night, which led to a pain work day the following morning.

No comments: